Every two weeks, we host an evening of games and food at our place for other families and students from the birth clinic. The last two times, we have run Bible trivia games, using a Jeopardy format.
Here’s a set of questions Sora wrote for last Friday. Answers are in the comments. (Matt’s game for grown-ups will be posted later.)
Kids’ jeopardy questions
Categories: babies, numbers, wells, kings, names of jesus, beatitudes, mothers, stones, wives, and tribes.
1. This baby’s mother, Jochebed, saw he was a “fine child” so she hid him for three months before putting him in an ark or basket in the River Nile.
2. Before this baby was born, an angel appeared to his mother and told her not to drink any wine or strong drink because her baby would be a Nazarite, who would begin to deliver Israel from the Philistines.
3. This baby’s name means “laughter”, because his mother laughed at the idea that she would have a son since she was already too old to have children.
4. These two babies were already fighting with each other before they were born.
5. This baby’s wicked grandmother tried to kill him when he was just a year old, but he was rescued and hidden in the Temple for six years and then became the king.
1. The number of Jesus’s disciples.
2. Though it’s never stated in Scripture, the Western tradition gives this as the number of “wise men from the east”who brought gifts to Jesus.
3. The number of pieces of silver Judas received for betraying Jesus.
4. The number of daughters Jacob had.
5. The number of times Israel’s army marched around Jericho before it fell down.
1. This person met a Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well, asked her for water, and told her “all the things she ever did.”
2. This girl met a servant of Abraham at a well, and after she gave water to his camels, he gave her gold bracelets and a nose ring.
3. This woman thought she and her son would both die of thirst in the desert after her jealous mistress, Sarah, sent her away, but God “opened her eyes” and she lifted up her eyes and saw a well of water.
4. These seven girls were chased away from a well by shepherds until Moses helped them.
5. This man had to dig all over again the wells that his father had dug, because the wells had been filled up by the Philistines.
1. This king was greater in riches and wisdom than any other, but he married many foreign wives who worshipped idols and they turned his heart away from the Lord.
2. This king tried to trick the wise men from the east into showing him where Jesus was so that he could kill him.
3. This king did more that was “evil in the eyes of the lord” than any other king who had come before him.
4. This king listened to foolish councillors, and as a result, the kingdom of Israel was split in two.
5. This king was only 8 years old when he took the throne, and the bible says that neither before or after him was there a king who turned to the Lord the as he did.
Names of Jesus
1. He knows His sheep, and is known by them, and gives His life for His sheep.
2. Jesus calls himself by this name when he says, “he who comes to me will never hunger.”
3. This name of Jesus, from revelation 1, is the first and last letter of the greek alphabet.
4. John the baptist saw jesus coming and called him this.
5. These four names are listed in isaiah chapter 9 verse 6 which begins, for unto us a child is born.
1. These people are blessed, for they will inherit the earth.
2. These people are blessed, for they will be satisfied, or “filled.”
3. These people are blessed, for they shall obtain mercy.
4. These people are blessed, for they will see God.
5. These people are blessed, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
1. This mother was very surprised when an angel told her she would have a baby, because she was a virgin and did not have a husband.
2. The husband of this woman, who was really too old to have a baby, couldn’t talk to her through the whole pregnancy because God had struck him dumb for not believing the angel who told him his wife would bear a son.
3. This mother made a new suit of clothes for her son every year and took them to him where he was serving God in the temple.
4. This mother told her husband, “Give me children or I die!” and she did indeed die giving birth to her second son.
5. This wicked mother told her daughter, to ask the king for the head of John the Baptist on a platter.
1. When Mary and Martha brought spices to anoint the body of Jesus, they were surprised that the stone was rolled away from this place.
2. This man brought two tablets of stone down from the mountain where he met with God.
3. This man used a stone for a pillow, and had a dream in which he saw a stairway between earth and heaven.
4. What did John the Baptist say God could raise up out of stone.
5. The tribes of Israel took twelve stones, one for each tribe, out of this river after they crossed it on dry land.
1. The two names of Abraham’s wife.
2. These two wives, daughters of Laban, had to share one husband.
3. This wife’s husband gave her her name because she would be the “mother of all living”.
4. The book of proverbs says this is worth more than rubies.
5. This wife looked over her shoulder and turned into a pillar of salt.
1. The twelve tribes of Israel all came from sons of this man.
2. King David and Jesus came from this tribe.
3. The priests came from this tribe.
4. These two tribes remained loyal to the King and became the kingdom of Judah while the other ten tribes split away to form divided kingdom of Israel.
5. This tribe was almost wiped out in the book of Judges, and had to steal wives from the other tribes in order to continue to exist.